transfer-encoding

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 22:54:58 +1100

Hi,
    this is address'd to Patrick R. McManus (I hope you're still on the list Patrick :])

I have few questions about your te branch of squid

1) where can I get the encoding library (ATHY_COMPRESSION) you reference in it?
2) AFAICT the encoding/decoding is only done at one place in squid - just before the data is sent to the client in client_side. Have
I missed something, or will the retrieved objects be cached in the T-encoded form? Looking at it I thought the thing to do would be
un-encode to 'chunked' or non-encoded in the server-side code, so the cached form is unencoded, and then encode as appropriate for
the client. What I can see at the moment is that the code can only handle one set of nested transformations and that is done only at
the client_side. From a perf tuning point of view I thought the server side decode could be a) have a preferred disk storage format
(ie gzipped) and be given a te-list for the client_request - and the data passed to client_side would be only unwrapped as much as
needed from the upstream response.
3) if it's idle & not under development, any objections to my setting a tag (ie TE_OLD_20010104) on the current source and running
with it unguided? I really want to finish up Digest (rfc 2617) authentication, but that requires trailer capability - which requires
chunked encoding. ... I could always start from scratch & just put enough code in to chunk the data, but I see little point in
duplicating effort and only doing a half job at that...

Rob