RE: transfer-encoding

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:44:25 +1100

Ahh. This is still code I'm only starting to come to grips with.

Does this approach sound better then
* Provide a set of generic te routines
* Have the fs layer use the routines to get whatever format it wants to
save (Needed so switching te modules on and off doesn't invalidate the
cache)
* Have client_side use the routines to get whatever format it wants to
send
* Ignore what happens to the incoming data per se (for now).

> If you make the API modular with a configure option for which
> encodings
> to enable I see no need to have separate branches. But if you really
> want to sure.

Yes I do - here's my reasoning...
I've found while working on the auth_rewrite stuff, that large scale
changes have a tendency to break dependant modules temporarily. I.E.
adding in a require module function. Personally, while I'm testing a new
idea out, I don't want to be breaking everything in sight until it's
stabilised - even if that's only a few hours work.

For example, Digest auth required adding additional headers and
potentially trailers to the outbound requests. Doing that required
changes to the auth module API code & client_side & errorpage. Nothing
major but I was able to get it going in isolation, using CVS along the
way. (As per your CVS suggestions Henrik :-]).

Then when I was done, I simply picked up the API level changes,
committed them to auth_rewrite and merged back down.

Rob