[adrian@creative.net.au: Re: storeGet() -> storeGetPublic() ?]

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 05:56:13 +0800

Oops.. :)

----- Forwarded message from Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au> -----

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 05:54:33 +0800
From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au>
To: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
Cc: squid-dev@squid-cache.rog
Subject: Re: storeGet() -> storeGetPublic() ?

On Sat, Jan 06, 2001, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
> > Note again that this is only happening on the modio branch for now.
> > If noone objects I'll port over the patches to squid-HEAD to tidy
> > things up a little.
>
> I am afraid your change will effectively disable Cache Digests. It is
> probably prohibitively expensive to generate digests from scratch if
> every object's meta-data has to be read from disk.
>
> I see two options:
>
> - Keep all your changes to your branch only. Folks who
> want to test modio branch will be warned that digests should
> be disabled and ICP might be too slow.
>
> - Change the way Cache Digests are computed/maintained.
> In short, one would have to maintain a digest-like
> memory-resident hash that will be used to answer
> ICP queries and build digests if needed. The hash
> cannot be the same as current digests because we
> probably need to support delete operations.
> Your changes can be brought in to HEAD after the above
> is done and tested.
>
> Overall, I would think that such a drastic change as making storeGet()
> blocking should be well tested (at least HTTP/ICP/Digest-performance
> wise) in isolation before it is admitted into mainstream code.

Aha! I haven touched cache digests yet! See, I eventually plan to have
cache digests as an *integral* part of the cache store to speed up
lookups. I just havent gotten around to that bit yet.

So yes, I going to be doing something like your second point, but it
will become an integral part of the storage layer rather than add-on.

The only things I was looking to bring over to HEAD right now is some
tidyups to make code use storeGetPublic() instead of storeGet() where
possible. I also finding other little bits and pieces that could be
tidied up in squid-HEAD.

Thanks for your comments,

adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Here's five for the cake, and
<adrian@creative.net.au>	  five to buy a clue."