Re: storeGet() -> storeGetPublic() ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:19:22 +0100

Alex Rousskov wrote:

> I am afraid your change will effectively disable Cache Digests. It is
> probably prohibitively expensive to generate digests from scratch if
> every object's meta-data has to be read from disk.

Any change which moves away from having a full in-memory store index
makes it quite inpractical to maintain cache digests.

Adrian:

It is not that easy to move digests to the FS layer for the purpose of
digests. In order to support cache digests (between caches, not
internal-only) the digest building routines must be able to walk the
store index in a reasonably efficient manner, getting the MD5 hash and
expiry time of each object, and to get notifications on
addiditons/deletetions (not used today IIRC).

Having something digest-like internally to speed up index checks on
misses is an entirely different matter.

/Henrik