Re: NTLM + auth_rewrite

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 09:22:34 +0100

Robert Collins wrote:

> ==== Other than the doco, auth_rewrite is ready to merge ====

I have one large restructuring of the source layout that I'd like to
discuss before the commit:

* Conceptual change to call the helpers backend helpers and not modules

* Group the schemes together

  auth_backends
  auth_backends/basic
  auth_backends/basic/NCSA
  auth_backends/basic/...
  auth_backends/ntlm
  auth_backends/ntlm/NTLMSSP
  auth_backends/ntlm/...
  auth_backends/...

* Make sure that each installed "backend helper" has a unique name.

Hmm.. thinking about it it might be a good idea to simply put all of
them directly in auth_backends, without dividing on scheme. Especially
if considering the idea below..

I also got the crazy idea of joining the auth helper protocols into one
for all schemes using a more structured message format, and let the
helpers register what schemes they support. Only schemes for where there
exists a registered backend will then be announced, and if there exists
multiple for one scheme then each is tried in order until a success. But
this would be the next generation of auth_rewrite I think.

/Henrik