Re: storeGet() -> storeGetPublic() ?

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 01:34:51 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henrik Nordstrom" <hno@hem.passagen.se>
To: "Adrian Chadd" <adrian@creative.net.au>
Cc: <squid-dev@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 11:56 PM
Subject: Re: storeGet() -> storeGetPublic() ?

> Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
> > .. but then, it wouldn't be that hard to have something percolate back
> > up to squid to say "object X was destroyed", if it would help the
> > cache digest cause.
>
> Problem is that is basically doesn't help very much, unless you go back
> to keeping a full index of every object.
>
> You still need to be able to retreive the index to refresh or rebuild
> the digest. (yes, digests do need to be completely rebuilt from time to
> time to adjust to changes in amount of information in the digest)
>
> /Henrik

Hang on, I must have missed something.
Correct me if I'm wrong but to create a digest you set a bit x on in a large array if 1 or more cached URI's put through filter(URI)
match that bit number.

if we have a small ref count on each bit, and an event when a URI gets deleted, we can decrement the refcount for bit filter(URI).
That should be a lot smaller.
As for rebuilding the digest, what about a schedulable background process to create a new digest, and then swap the active digest
across when it completes?
Ie for a period of time you have two digests, one active, one being built, and they are both registered to recieve URI deletion
messages until the new one becomes active.

Thoughts?

Rob