RANT

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:31:11 +1100

<RANT>
MS IE only handles chunked encoding when the server version is 1.1, not by header detection. (This is with IE set to use http/1.1
thru proxy connections)

So to get the squid->ie connection using transfer encoding, squid must return HTTP/1.1

Do you folk think that's reasonable? Or should I start badgering MS? The spec for 1.1 doesn't cover a http/1.0 compliant server
sending to a http/1.1 client - it is implicitly allowed.

</RANT>

workarounds?
-Don't assume that a http/1.1 client is capable of chunked transfer coding (rfc 2616 says they must be)
- set up an ACL for testing via headers for sending /1.1 responses?
- start sending http/1.1 and check quickly for minimal compliance (don't cache varys etc etc)

ideas needed!

I've got most of the kinks in the code out so that te headers are propagated properly thru a chain of proxies, and persistent
connections are kept when chunked messages are recieved... so it's nearly complete. This is a real nuisance though because of the
interaction with the logic for sending Transfer-encoding to http clients.

Rob