Re: Strange result!

From: Nikos Chrysos <nchrysos@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:32:10 +0200 (EET)

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001 cachemail@procache.com wrote:

> Dear All
> I tested the squid with Ext2 and with Reiserfs. I am very confused
> because the performance of Ext2 is better that Reiserfs.
>
> Have anybody tested it before?
> Vahid Fereydounkolahi
> fereydunk@yahoo.com

I think i a have felt this way too, one year ago...

Reiserfs will do better , in mine experience, only if you make your cache
( i suppose squid) to use
one directory. This may be contradicotry with results from benchamrks like
latfs for creation and deletion of small files ( but the think is that
latfs makes all the writting in one directory).
You should also be aware that logging in journal is not a matter of
performance but of security and recovering ( it took me i while to
understand this) but this even what the authors of this file system will
tell you. Reiserfs writes its metadata in both the permanent positions and
the log...

May be you should try using many partitions or disks and then check again
(i have not tested this...)