Re: Vary, store interface

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:07:33 +0800

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Nope. storeGetPublicByRequest(request).
>
> For range requests the request is a range. Where the actual range
> processing takes place is another matter, but I think it belongs at a
> higher level than the FS, but lower level than the client connection.
>
> This is the interface to the generic Squid object store, not neccesarily
> the FS implementation.

I've been giving this some thought over the last few days. I think
it would be good to change the semantics of storeGet() (and
storeLookup() for me :) to take a request_t instead of a URI/method.
This gives the store the ultimate flexibility in returning an object.

Then we can start doing some nifty things - like sticking vary
and range request objects in "tailored" stores, keeping an optimised
store for "normal" objects.

I'm also curious - do commercial cache vendors support caching
TE/range/vary requests, and how well do they do it?

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Sex Change: a simple job of outside
<adrian@creative.net.au>	  to inside plumbing."