Re: 'nother small tweak - cache_dir chdir'ing

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 01:50:03 +0100

KevinL wrote:

> The following patch adds a comment asking if effectiveUser is always set (ie.
> I suspect this portion of code never executes after the change for non-root
> execution made the other day)

It is always set. When started as non-root is is set to the current UID.

> and removes a line that caused squid to crash out
> if no chroot_dir was specified and it couldn't cd to the cache dir. Normally,
> if squid can't cd to the first cache_dir, that would indicate something bad has
> happened, but in this age of strange filesystems it's entirely possible that the
> cache_dir cannot be chdir'ed into... Oh, I also made the log line the same as
> the one above it.

It should not chdir to the swap directory, it should chdir to
coredump_dir. And this regardless of any uid settings..

Assuming that the name of a cache_dir is a directory to where one can
chdir is a bold assumption. Fails miserably for non-FS based stores.

/Henrik