pinger

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 21:39:35 +0200

 We use pinger, to determine 2 things: RTT to the server, and hop-count.

 Hop-count has quite little meaning for nearly anything. Mostly people
 want to use RTT for peer selection, but this RTT has also some problems.
 quite often sites are blocking icmp ping, and may get frustrated if squid
 caches allover the world are pinging their server too often. icmp gets
 usually higher handling priority in OS'es than normal traffic.

 Do we really need pinger? Why can't we just measure time it takes to
 tcp-connect to the target server, (or time to first reply data from peer)
 and remember that as sort of RTT metric?

 We could pick neighbors by that metric, and we would be less prone to
 pick peers that are in reality overloaded, and we could also use that
 metric for decisions whether to cache replies from given server or not.

 just thought...

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 Delfi Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 708