Re: [SQU] NTLM Branch(es)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 11:03:37 +0100

Sort of, except that you do not need to mail a diff. Ensuring that the
branch you want to have merged is up to date and reasonably cleaned up
is sufficient, and actually preferred as this allows you to make any
last-minute bug fixes while waiting for the commit to take place.

In this case the auth_rewrite branch was older than the last commit from
auth_rewrite, making the merge quite hard as there was stuff in the
patch that was already in HEAD.

What I'd like is that
  a) The branch is reasonably up to date
  b) You have cleaned it up from testing/experimental code
  c) That you have read thru the patch at least once
  d) Properly indented with GNU indent 1.9.1 with the options
        -br -ce -i4 -ci4 -l80 -nlp -npcs -npsl -d0 -sc -di0 -psl
  c) That you send a request for merge to squid-dev, including a
     description of what has been changed since the last merge
     (i.e. a suitable commit log entry)
  d) When the changes are in the current Squid snapshot, send a similar
message to squid-users pointing them to the snapshot releases if you
want to have people test it.
(http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.5/)

Reasoning:

a: To make sure there is no conflicts when the patch is committed to
HEAD

b: I'd like to keep the main tree reasonably clean from experimental
code.

c: Many bugs are found by reading what one have done one more time

d: Having it indented before the commit to HEAD helps YOU a lot in the
next merge from HEAD. This because any changes in HEAD will be properly
indented, and if your branch is not then there will be many merge
conflicts the next time you merge changes from HEAD.

c: So the one that commits your changes does not need to guess what you
have been doing when writing the commit entry for HEAD.

d: Easier to retreive and Versioned/timestamped. Mainly so you/we know
what code the user runs when you receive problem reports.

/Henrik