Re: squid internal DNS weirdness?

From: Kurt J. Lidl <lidl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 17:45:47 -0500

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 09:41:35PM +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> It is true that Squid does not understand the notion of using the IP
> 0.0.0.0 being the local server, and thinks that the replies are spoofed
> since they are being received from another IP.

[...]

> I am somewhat reluctant at doing anything about this in Squid. In my
> opinion it is better to just specify 127.0.0.1 in /etc/resolv.conf
> instead of 0.0.0.0, to directly address the loopback interface which is
> just as standard.

You would be better off substituting 127.0.0.1 in the list of resolvers
(maybe with a warning) than the current behavior, which leaves in 0.0.0.0
and creates a broken situtation. At the very least, Squid should punt
out a warning in the log file complaining that it saw 0.0.0.0 as a
nameserver and is going to (erroronously) refuse all the packets from
the local nameserver, requiring the user to "fix" their non-broken
/etc/resolv.conf file.

> Sidenote: The 0.0.0.0 notion is not an "official" standard for
> addressing the local machine, but works on most OS:es regardless..

Actually, read section 3.3.6 of RFC1122 (Host Requirements). It
falls into the category of "Limited Broadcast". That's about as
"official standard" as it gets.

-Kurt