Re: store module abstractions

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 16:51:55 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Littlejohn" <darius@bofh.net.au>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
Cc: <squid-dev@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2001 4:23 PM
Subject: Re: store module abstractions

> > I envisage the follow modules to start with:
> > storefs - coss, ufs, null, sfs, reiserraw
> > storeio - ufsio, aufsio, diskd

On second thought,
s/storeio/diskio/
probably makes it much clearer.

> Ok, that makes a lot more sense to me. Does it boil down to storefs
> implementing open/close/read/write/mount/umount, and storeio implementing the
> various callbacks etc to handle opening/reading/cbdata-type things, plus the
> storeDirRebuild-type functions - basically, what's in, um, store_dir_fs.c and
> store_io_fs.c?

I need to get my hands dirty on this to answer. You've probably got a better idea about it than me.

I had vague thoughts along the line of
storefs - physical layout of the store & rebuild logic & metadata logic
storeio - o/s level calls to read/write/create/delete.

with storeio aiming to be low enough level that it can be used by storefs modules that have different approachs.

> > Cool. Well given the plethora of new modules it's introducing, I'd like to ma
> ke it depend on the generic module work I'm doing..
> > (but I haven't heard any feedback on that yet ...)
>
> I was gonna take some time out and make sfs use your module stuff - saw the
> cvs updates go through the other day - but, well, um, my SO and I bought
> EverQuest, so gimme a day or two ;) Seriously, cleaning up squid's disk
> interface is where I want to be pitching my help, I'm just loathe to go
> jumping in myself, especially atm when Adrian's busy changing things from
> underneath... ;)
>
> KevinL

Ah. the latest virus (grin). The modules stuff is still in a separate branch at the moment. However it's not changing anything
significant at the moment (it's just the easy bit so far).

realistically, I don't have the time to dig into this anytime soon (other commitments + finishing off the other squid work I have
underway). However I thought of it and wanted to bring it up.... Don't wait for me :]

If you have requests on getting the module stuff to help out as much as possible (ie querying for a configured module of type x from
another module (ie the ufs store needs a diskio module configured and present).
Also I'm hoping to have a parsing toolkit for configuring modules easily ready soon. (call that generic_modules round 1.5)

Rob