Re: handling ranges in squid-modio

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:29:29 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrian Chadd" <adrian@creative.net.au>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
Cc: <squid-dev@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 7:57 AM
Subject: Re: handling ranges in squid-modio

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001, Robert Collins wrote:
> >

> The plan in my mind is to genericify the http server/client code
enough to
> support stuff like the TE and range requests through .. hrm. I guess
what
> you're doing.

:]

> I'm *aiming* towards ripping out storeClientCopy() and replacing it
> with the opposite of storeAppend(). THe header parsing and range
request
> code were the two places I saw the obvious non-linear store client
> accesses.

Uhmm, so non-linear is bad? I think non linear is good. (Think
multi-range requests). I think backtracking however is really bad. (And
I've got that fixed in rbcollins_filters. The server code buffers and
parses the whole headers before it passes any of them on, so the
client_side _always_ see the entire headers in the first read callback)

> When I've tracked down any remaining ones I can continue reworking
> the server/client data flows and then move on to sepearating the
> header part from the data(body) part.

Yes. Gor for it, delete away :]. I'll try to get a minimal intermediary
in place in the next couple of weeks.

> We're assuming here that each object will have a "header" part and a
> "body" part, right ? This would be a nice time to tell me.
>
> :-)

Every object that hits the store will have metadata and body.
Metadata will include parsed protocol headers, time recieved by the
cache....
The Body is a set of potentially non contigous ranges belonging to the
same instance of the object. (with offset 0 the beginning of the body,
NOT the beginning of the response).

This implies a function to write|update the metadata, and another
funciton to retrieve it.

The only question I have is "Varies" - does the store know about
variations, or does the (currently hypothetical) intermediary make sure
the store gets given different keys?