Re: false-hit recovery bug

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 17:44:39 -0700 (MST)

> 2) Why do we send an "only-if-cached" directive when fetching from
> siblings? Ideally, shouldn't this be configurable?

As far as I understand, siblings, by definition, do not serve misses.
Thus, adding only-if-cached is essential in detecting false hits.
Without only-if-cached, Squid will not be able to detect a false hit
(in an HTTP-friendly way) and re-fetch the request.

If you have a peer cache that is willing to fetch your misses, call
that cache a parent, not sibling (again, by definition).

Alex.