Re: async-io

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 13:46:00 +0100

Kevin Littlejohn wrote:

> Have started the work to create a shared interface - am coding to the
> programmer's guide and the existing interfaces. Note here, aufs currently has
> a horrible "single request pool across the entire system" thing going, which
> I'll be breaking up into one request queue per cache dir. That has some other
> ramifications - it means per-cache-dir load readings will work, but it also
> may do bad things number-of-thread-wise - I may have to fall back to one
> thread per fs, which makes sense to me anyway (correct me if I'm wrong, but
> that thread will be blocking on disk io, another thread won't gain us
> anything, right?).

You will need a pool of threads per FS for best performance. Multiple
parallell random I/O requests are better optimized by the OS than random
time-sequential ones..

> Oh, I need to check something, tho: The aufs request_queue2 setup,
> is that a good thing(tm)?

The "request_queue2" thingy is where async-io temporarily puts requests
waiting for the queue lock to be freed (currently held by one of the I/O
threads). It gets triggered from time to time on high I/O load.

/Henrik