Re: ip_wccp.c for WCCP v2 question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:24:29 +0100

Roger Venning wrote:

> Looking at net/ipv4/ipip.c as a guide, what Joe has done looks
> reasonable. Can you send
> me a dump of an oops (using the ksymoops tool) Joe?

I got myself a copy of the kernel sources (only had the headers), and
the "old" way indeed seems to be the correct one, used both by ipip and
ip_gre.

I am still a bit questioning about the validity of the mac magic (don't
think many things expects the mac layer to be IP...) but it is shared
with these modules as well.

The packet size concerns still is there, and the same concerns apply to
ipip and ip_gre. Both are quite sloppy with packet size checks.

One thing which is missing from ip_wccp is 2.4 netfilter integration.
See ip_gre.c. Should not be a big problem, but might cause some
confusion if used together with netfilter conntrack...

A further "cosmetic" thing is to send ICMP PROTOCOL UNREACHABLE on
non-WCCP packets..

/Henrik