RE: authenticate_program bombs out

From: Mike Everest <mike@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:31:29 +1000

Hi Herik,

> a) Use a "log-tail daemon" that reads Squid's log file and
> forwards the
> entries to a SQL server, combined with semi-frequent log rotation to
> keep the on-disk size down.

i'd thought about that, but i want to also use the log data to manage a
'download quota' system so it really needs to be kept reasonably up to date.

> b) Logging to a pipe where another daemon listens, completely avoiding
> touching disk.

now *that* sounds interesting - any ideas where i might be able to get some
further info on how to do that?

> The "log-tail" approach has the big benefit that Squid does
> not care if
> the log daemon is bogged down and cannot keep up with the
> request rate.
> It simply continues to log to the log file, from where the SQL logger
> then tries to catch up when time permits.

umm, so are you suggesting that the log daemon can read the log file even
while sqid is writing to it? i am not at all familiar with how that could
be achieved - could you point me to some resources?

thanks muchly! and regards, Mike.