Re: feature question

From: Roger Venning <r.venning@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:50:33 -0500

Joao,

I've never used this the "delay pool" feature, but I think that this is
what you
want; from squid.conf:

# This defines the parameters for a delay pool. Each delay pool has
# a number of "buckets" associated with it, as explained in the
# description of delay_class. For a class 1 delay pool, the
syntax is:

and

# And, if delay pool number 2 is a class 3 delay pool as in the above
# example, and you want to limit it to a total of 256kbps (strict
limit)
# with each 8-bit network permitted 64kbps (strict limit) and each
# individual host permitted 4800bps with a bucket maximum size of 64kb
# to permit a decent web page to be downloaded at a decent speed
# (if the network is not being limited due to overuse) but slow down
# large downloads more significantly:

The pools can be allocated on an individual or class C size network,
which isn't quite the flexibility of the ACLs, but it may suffice.

Roger.

Joao Carvalho wrote:

> well here is what i need to do.
> i have a proxy running that is used by diferent subnetworks.
> each subnetwork can use it or exit directly to the net.
> if they exit directly they are controled by a packeteer.
> if they use the proxy they escape the control .
> Of course i could control rate limit at the proxy , but what i really want
> is one of the following features :
>
> 1 - the machine running the proxy has several ips on the same network
> i would like to control some acl to tell them if you belong to the following
> acl than use the following source ip to obtain the file requested
> that way i could include those ip in the packeteer and administer bandwidth
> in one single place.
>
> 2 - use the same method but instead of having ips using the TOS field.
>
> is there something like this in squid or are ther any plans to include one of
> these features in an future release ?
>
> thank you
>
> Joao Carvalho

Roger Venning	\ Do not go gentle into that good night
Melbourne        \ Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Australia <r.venning@bipond.com>                 Dylan Thomas