Re: CVS "Up-to-date check failed"

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 13:26:26 +0200

Roger Venning wrote:

> This was it, thanks Henrik

Good.

> I created a new branch, and nearly got caught by the new directory again,
> but noticed no tag in CVS/Tag. Maybe you could <b>bold</b> the CVS page
> where it says cd ../your_new_branchname (and I think it is actually
> your.new.branchname, the underlines get changed).

Well.. the script also ends by saying:

   "Branch created. Now go to ../name.of.directory and hack away"

but I will try to figure out something to say on the web page to make
this clearer.

Actually, what I am concidering in the long run is to change the script
so you run it one level up, specifying the old work tree and the new
branch name.

Why the script wants a source working directory of the base branch:
  a) That way it does not have to care about where/what the repository
or module is or base branch name. All can be derived from the working
directory. Makes the script very generic.
  b) Since the sources of the base branch can be copied, it saves a
quite lengthy checkout.. instead only the tag of the copy is changed (by
CVS).

/Henrik