Re: chunked MemPool

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:03:27 +0200

Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> I'm wondering how portable memalign() is?

Not very. It is not covered by "the Single Unix Specification Version
2".

But regarless, quite efficient searching can be implemented using trees
or hashes (trees is probably more suited as we do not know the amount or
distribution).

I would suggest using a tree with about 5 branches per internal node.

Or you could use garbage collection to hide the overhead from normal
operations. Simply put the free nodes in a bucket, and only look in
detail if you need to actually reclaim memory.

/ Henrik