Re: chunked_mempools - feedback needed

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:02:23 +0200

Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> I think I've reached the point with chunked pools that I'm not quite
> able to improve it further.

I hope to find some time during the weekend to spend on tosaddracl,
chunked_mempools, ssl and a couple of other more or less finished
branches. Chunked memory pools will probably get committed to HEAD
rather soon (beginning of next week) unless some issue is found that
should be addressed first.

At present I have only one mempool request I'd like to bake together
with chunked memory pools when committing this to HEAD:

 The compile time ability to completely disable memory pools using
--disable-memory-pools or something similar.

Being able to disable memory pools is badly needed when debugging memory
allocation problems. Most malloc debuggers are a lot better than memory
pools at indicating where a thing was allocated and when, and also
allows you to find references to freed memory or memory over/underruns.

(some also finds issues with GCC and bitfields but that is another
story...)

Free Malloc debuggers I have found useful:

 * Electric Fence (a bit slow but does it's job in finding bad memory