Re: anyone got 3/4 linux boxen to play with?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 21:50:43 -0500

As far as I know, Mosix doesn't know about doing some form of persistent
distribution of requests...So every cache will end up with roughly the
same contents (thus lowering hit ratio on two fronts--disk space being
eaten by redundant content first, and clients receiving misses when they
hit the 'wrong' cache for data that has already entered one or more
other caches).

LVS answers this problem effectively with the LBLC and DH hash
schedulers. Both distribute between caches using one form or another of
IP affinity--so only one cache will get any given object.

Failover and high availability features can be done with keepalived,
mon, or heartbeat, or a custom script using something like echoping.

Not easy, yet, but is pretty transparent and pretty effective.

Just my .02

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances