automake

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 14:23:25 +1000

I've uploaded a snapshot of automake, and merged the latest HEAD updates
to the squid-amake branch. It passes make distcheck on a new checkout
(with the automake snapshot and a seperate build directory).

The other change since my last post is to move the squid version from
version.h to use the automake defined PACKAGE and VERSION macros. This
is useful because the archive created by make dist or make distcheck is
named using the
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(Squid, 2.5-DEVEL)
macro invocation in configure.in. I.e. changing that line to ..Squid,
2.5-NTLM.. will result in a tarball Squid-2.5-NTLM.tar.gz

This should now be ready for HEAD inclusion - if you folk could test and
provide some feedback that would be great.

In particular:
run ./bootstrap.sh after checking out squid.
make distcheck will make and test-build a tarball.
new configure options:
--disable-dependency-tracking Speeds up one-time builds
--enable-dependency-tracking Do not reject slow dependency extractors

The default (neither option specified) will use dependency tracking if
it can be done as a by-product of the compiler (ie with gcc 3).
Otherwise, use --enable-dependency-tracking to turn on dependency
tracking support.

I'm quite excited by the make dist/distcheck because it could help
automate making & testing snapshots from CVS branchs on
sourceforge/squid-cache.org.

Rob