Re: why was file_open not made async?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 09:16:15 +0200

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Just curious - why was file_open() not turned into a callback
> like file_read/file_write() were, so we could abuse them in
> an async fashion?

disk.c is ancient, and is more or less being killed at the moment, but
if we are again to make generic a disk I/O layer then reimplementing
disk.c async is one of the API's to the disk I/O layer. Note. for the
sake of filedescriptor consistency and debugging the disk I/O layer
should probably use a abstract filehandle rather than UNIX fd..

Further note: It is VERY likely some stores cannot use the generic disk
I/O layer easily, but it is for sure a good thing for logs the "normal"
store implementation(s).