Re: hash_string broken

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 17:01:26 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Robert Collins wrote:

> I've logged a bugzilla entry on this, but we seem to have found a fault
> with hash_string:
>
> The string
> "cif_bm\\raffagli" in a hash of size 7921, sometimes gets inserted at
> 7482, and sometimes at 6475.

This sounds similar to a problem that I saw some time ago. I would
get a coredump in one of the hash functions. The coredump showed
that two buckets had been "joined." The beginning entries in
the list were all in the right bucket, but at some point the hash
values didn't match.

If I recall correctly, it turned out to be a bug with the filemap
routines stomping on memory out of bounds. I found it finally by
noticing that one of the hash_link pointers was wrong by just one
bit.