overrideCacheControlPrivate

From: Krasi Zlatev <krasi@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:39:20 +0300 (EEST)

I will explain my issue briefly:

There are certain images that have "Cache-Control: private" and thus not
being cached by squid.These pictures I think should be cached and that is
why I am trying to make squid cache them, though I know it is a HTTP
violations and as Duane said "I don't want Squid to have too many
features that violate HTTP".

I have added to squid the feature "override_cache_control_private" and
put in squid.conf:
   acl pics url_regex \.gif$
   override_cache_control_private allow pics

I have changed in http.c the function httpCachableReply:

if (EBIT_TEST(cc_mask, CC_PRIVATE))
{
   if (Config.accessList.overrideCacheControlPrivate)
   {
      if (aclCheckFast(Config.accessList.overrideCacheControlPrivate, &ch))
      {
         return 1;
      }
   }
return 0;
}

Now these pictures are cached, but the problem is that immediatly after
a HIT, the object is removed from the cache.I believe
storeSetPublicKey checks for RELEASE_REQUEST flag and if it set the object
is removed.

I am asking for a way to make these objects not to be removed from the
cache, but still for squid to have a way of deciding
if this object is fresh or stale.

Thank you.

Krasi Zlatev
(+359 32) 944 138