RE: Squid development

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:59:50 +0200

> > Any reason this MD5 couldn't be brought into Squid?
> OpenSSL is under an
> > Apache style license, right? I'm not sure of the legality of
> > relicensing Apache-Style License to GPL...
>
> Why even bother trying when Squid can be made to simply use
> the OpenSSL
> library as it is? (already done on --enable-ssl, can easily be extened
> to be done automatically if OpenSSL is found)

Even with demand-page loading, I am not entirely comfortable with linking
that big an external library for such a smallish routine as MD5 is.
I'd rather second ripping the OpenSSL md5 routine, or write our own
in asm (leaving of course a C fallback for different architectures).

> > I don't see a benefit to saving it. Restarts are rare (every few
> > months, right? ;-) and these caches should be pretty much considered
> > non-permanent due to the nature of their contents.
>
> Right.

Caches _are_ non-permanent, by definition.
Besides, a reasonable TTL for a DNS entry should not exceed a day,
so at most a day's worth of cache is lost on restart. Those who mind
this can just activate a pdsnd (lightweight disk-caching
forwarding-only nameserver) and use that.

--
	/kinkie