Re: Real-world testing of squid-2.5 NTLM

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:13:22 +0200

 how about lowering memory_pools_limit?
 BTW, imho default should be quite low, and user given ability to up it, not
 the other way around. Who needs high memory_pools_limit typically has high
 traffic and is about to tweak stuff anyway.

 Store Mem Buffers idle. This is after a spike of activity. mempool idle limits
 should handle this. (could you try chunked_mempools, btw? it should keep idle
 mem lower automatically, and as a side effect tests chunked_mempools IRW. I
 have some worries about how chunked_mempools behaves with spikes of traffic,
 there free fragmentation is harder to deal with. In my tests it has been ok)

 Abit worrying is 235M usage. mempools account for 156M, and because you have
 very few small allocs, malloc overhead is not an issue. seems like some 100M
 is somewhere in a dark matter. It may be freespace fragmentation. (look at
 mallinfo() Free blocks). chunked_mempools try to reduce freespace fragmentation,
 but I guess memory_pools_limit would also reduce it alot. Imagine that one of
 the idle items is 236M deep into the heap, so your process size is 236M, no
 matter if all rest is not allcoated.

 In any case, memory_pools_limit is too simple for all cases. imho it should
 account for some kind of timefactor, and act per pool. But thats for later.

On 15 Jun 2001, at 9:33, Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@GruppoCredit.it> wrote:

> On Tuesday Robert and I found and fixed a cache-corrupting bug which caused
> my stress-test (2.5DEVEL-ntlm) server to die after an average of 250k hits.
> Now my test server has been up and runnning for 1.7M hits, and it's faring
> fine.
>
> My main concern now is with memory consumption: squid appears not to be
> leaking memory,
> at least not in a noticeable way. However, memory usage is EXTREMELY high.
> Just to make up some figures, "top" reports that the squid process is now
> 236 Mb big,
> and this is the relevant configuration information:
>
> cache_mem 5 MB
> cache_swap_low 90
> cache_swap_high 95
> cache_dir null /test/cache
>
> All other parameters use their default setting.
>
> Attached is the HTML output of the cache manager MemPools info.
> Notice the unordinately high number (and thus mem usage) of idle
> Store Mem Buffers.
> That value alone makes up for 95% of the MemPool-used RAM, and for 60%
> of the total RAM allocated by the process.
>
> Ideas?
>
> --
> /kinkie

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>