Re: authentication, 407 / 403

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 15:12:40 +0200

Chemolli Francesco (USI) wrote:

> It is a problem which is related to Internet Explorer and NTLM.
> NTLM authentication handshake implies at least 3 HTTP requests, the first 2
> getting 407's. Only at the third request Squid gets to know the user's
> credentials. If the check fails, without KINKIE_407_HACK, squid will 403.
> The problem is that the damned Explorer, upon getting a 403, will NOT
> pop up a window and ask for alternate credentials, it will just display the
> error page. If the user reloaded the page, it would happen again and
> the user would never be allowed to enter alternate credentials.
> With Robert's help, we hacked on client_side.c so that it returned 407's
> upon failed auth, so that users may get the popup window.

Not sure I follow. What is "failed auth" and why is there a 403 and how
is this related to NTLM? (403 SHOULD NOT cause a login request, so I do
not see an error in IE there).

If a user is denied access due to a proxy_auth ACL the browser SHOULD
receive a 407 reply, no matter what state the authentication process is
in.

If a user is denied access due to to a more complex http_access line
he/she may receive a 403 reply or a 407 reply depending on how the
http_access line reads.

acl auth proxy_auth ...
acl somesite dstdomain ...

http_access deny auth somesite