Re: Is there a general or Squid specific FTP Proxy Protocol Spec?

From: Clemens Anhuth <clemens.anhuth@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 16:26:31 +0200

> In case of Squid or any other HTTP proxy it is not a new protocol,
it is
> HTTP operating on ftp:// URLs which is then translated to FTP by
the
> HTTP "proxy" (the proper term is HTTP->FTP gateway I think..)

Okay.

Does it make sense to put together an RFC for an FTP Gateway
Protocol?

Before I started out hunting for information that you can encode the
action you want to be performed into the search args of your URL
perhaps.

something like...

  ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/BillGates?action=remove

Or does it not make sense to have such a standard set of commands
and rules how to use them?

As I understood all application gateways and firewalls implement
their own brew. Is there no need for such a standard?

With best regards

Clemens Anhuth