Re: Please Help X_Forwarded_ prob

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:26:24 +0200

X-Forwarded-For is a request header Squid adds to the request, and MAY
be used by servers to log the possible real source of the request. It
does not change and should not change what IP address is used to make
the request.

It is theoretically possible to make a proxy that masquerades/spoofs as
the client when making the request by using techniques similar (but
still very different) to the redirection done when transparently
intercepting the clients requests. This is not supported by Squid or
most OS:es where Squid can run. So far, I only know of Linux-2.2 having
the required OS support, and even there it requires some patching some
patching to be able to use it.. This feature is NOT available in
Linux-2.4.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker