Re: does squid support deflate?

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 30 Jul 2001 15:33:05 +1000

On 30 Jul 2001 12:34:04 +0800, Sharon.Chua@edgematrix.com wrote:

> henrik, rob....thanks for your answers...
>
> actually, i would like to use squid as a proxy in my setup.
> the content from squid is intended to be sent out -wirelessly- by some
> means.
> which means to say that i would probably want the content to be in deflate
> or gzip encoding in order to minimise the volume of data sent over the air.
>
> section 14.11 (content encoding) of rfc2616 says :
> "However, a non-transparent proxy MAY modify the content-coding if the new
> coding is known to be acceptable to the recipient, unless the
> "no-transform" cache-control directive is present in the message."

Squid currently doesn't do anything with content-encoding. Nor are there
patches AFAIK to content-encode on the fly.

> my question is, if the content in squid is not in deflate/gzip format, is
> squid able to deflate/gzip the content before sending it out?

No. It is able to transfer-encode it as deflate/gzip though. This is
hop-by-hop compression.

> henrik, the patch you mentioned is for transfer encoding?
> how abt content encoding? deflate encoding?
> i'm very very new to this so please correct me if i'm wrong......

The branch you need is te-modules (transfer encoding modules) the te
branch has only the code for chunked encoding.

Rob