Re: PATCH: win32 hosts file location

From: Guido Serassio <serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 10:11:26 +0200

Hi,

Il 05.34 19/08/2001 Henrik Nordstrom ha scritto:
>Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > Hmm, thats an approach, but I though you wished to avoid runtime magic?
>
>Not really. But the original code was a tiny bit too magic, and messed
>around with
>the loaded configuration.
>
>Currently I see three alternatives:
>
>a) Magic /etc/
>
> hosts_file /etc/hosts
>
>b) List of paths with variables
>
>c) Introduction of a special "environment-variable" for the "system
>network database
>directory", and generate a sligthly different default using this
>"variable". Allowing
>only one win32 setting to be used, and code to automatically expand this
>to the
>correct location.
>
> hosts_file %SYSDB%\hosts

I like the c):

It's simple to write and self-explaining too.
Default Squid %SYSDB% is /etc, is competence of platform porter to add the
code to change this value.

For example, on WIN32, i can do this transparently on the
WIN32_Subsystem_Init() function, leaving al Squid code unchanged.

Guido

>--
>Henrik

-
Serassio Guido
Via Albenga, 11/4 10134 - Torino - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.610749
E-mail: serassio@interfree.it
         serassio@libero.it
WWW: http://www.serassio.it