Re: Use FIFO in preference to TCP for redirectors.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 06:40:00 +0200

Robert Collins wrote:

> On 22 Aug 2001 22:52:04 +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > I prefer using UNIX domain sockets. These are available in both stream and
> > datagram forms, where pipes are only available as streams. Also, buffering
> > generally is better on UNIX domain sockets than pipes.
> >
> > See the unix_sockets branch, which also includes some cleanups of how/when
> > different types of IPC channels are selected. Instead of having each and
> > every ipc user select the transport domain, it is selected globally what
> > domains to use for stream or datagram communicaton.
>
> Sure... What chance of getting that into 2.5? Mike was suffering heavy
> helper lossage followed by queue congestion and squid fatal()ing on him.

It needs some more testing on odd platforms. I am told that there is more buggy
UNIX domain implementations than there is buggy TCP/IP loopback
implementations..

I have received some reports that there was issues with default socket buffer
sizes on Solaris for datagram channels. I think this has been fixed in the
branch but it needs testing to verify.

And, if TCP/IP loopback networking failed for Mike (most likely due to kernel
networking memory shortage) UNIX domain networking will most likely also fail
under the same conditions, unless the failure is to some TCP/IP loopback bug..