Re: Strange autoconf result on Alpha Linux

From: Guido Serassio <serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:48:19 +0200

Hi,

Il 11.54 28/08/2001 Henrik Nordstrom ha scritto:
>Guido Serassio wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > l 18.43 25/08/2001 Guido Serassio ha scritto:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >When I'm testing my new hosts_file code on a Linux Alpha, I found a
> > >strange thing on src/Makefile after a simple autoheader && autoconf:
> > >
> > >#
> > ># Makefile for the Squid Object Cache server
> > >#
> > ># $Id$
> > >#
> > ># Uncomment and customize the following to suit your needs:
> > >#
> > >
> > >prefix = /usr/local/squid
> > >exec_prefix = ${prefix}
> > >exec_suffix =
> > >cgi_suffix = .cgi
> > >top_srcdir = ..
> > >bindir = ${exec_prefix}/bin
> > >libexecdir = ${exec_prefix}/lib
> > >sysconfdir = ${prefix}/etc
> > >localstatedir = /var/lib <========= ?????
> > >srcdir = .
> > >
> > >Is this normal for Linux platform ?
> > >
> > >[serassio@io 2.5d1]$ uname -a
> > >Linux io.sg.private 2.4.7 #9 Fri Aug 10 12:25:08 CEST 2001 alpha unknown
> > >
> > >[serassio@io 2.5d1]$ autoconf --version
> > >autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.52
> > >Written by David J. MacKenzie.
> > >
> > >Guido
> >
> > I forgot to write that I have the same result with "regular" 2.5 source.
>
>Which Alpha Linux distro?

It's a Red Hat 7.0, but autoconf come's from another distro, In Red Hat
there is no 2.5x autoconf.

>What configure options?

None.

>Smells like the autoconf installation is flawed with a bad config.site
>file.. if
>so then reset it by using --local-state-dir='${prefix}/var'

Tonight at home, I check the config.site file.

Guido

>Question to all developers: Any objections against removing the
>configure.in hack
>that messes around with libexecdir and localstatedir? imho it is better if
>people
>learn the autoconf options than we trying to tweak it in odd ways.. and the
>GNU defaults is quite sensible as they are I think.
>
>--
>Henrik

-
Serassio Guido
Via Albenga, 11/4 10134 - Torino - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.610749
E-mail: serassio@interfree.it
         serassio@libero.it
WWW: http://www.serassio.it