Re: MOre Authentication?

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 29 Aug 2001 22:00:01 +1000

On 29 Aug 2001 12:41:37 +0100, khaled mobayed wrote:
> Hello

Please keep replies cc'd to the mailing list.

> I am working on squid 2.3

Squid 2.4 is considerably better than 2.3, and 2.5 is nearing release.
You might want to consider developing for squid 2.4 / 2.5

> I am hoping to control the users access time and adjust the
authentication in order to limit the users number.

The time thing is already covered in squid, via time acl's - unless you
mean the length of time a given user spends 'logged into' squid. That
isn't covered at the moment - although there is a user cache, so you
could look at the total time a username has been known to the user
cache.

I presume you mean the number of instances of a given user? Or the
maximum number of users logged into squid. (ie do you mean stop "fred"
logging in three times, or stop more than (say) 30 different users
connecting at once.

As far as limiting the users numbers, in squid 2.5 there is an acl type
- max_user_ip - to limit concurrent logons to arbitrary numbers - ie
allow fred to log in on 5 machines at once, and john to 3 machines, and
all other users to only one machine at a time.

There is no current way to limit the overall user load, and I'm not sure
having one makes sense - but you're welcome to work on that if you want
to :}

> And finally where can I find the Programmers Guide.

in the squid tarball, doc/Progamming-Guide.

Rob