Re: Peer twiddling

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 21:56:40 -0600

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001, Joe Cooper wrote:
> I like the sound of that a lot...standard tools for network systems
> administration.
>
> However, security is still a concern, and SNMP is currently not so
> secure in Squid (ACLs true, but no granularity for SNMP access).

SNMP isn't as standard as you'd think - you still need to build
your own enterprise MIB, and its just as stateless and less reliable
as if we were doing it over HTTP.

Personally, any management system worth its salt (or lots of cash)
will have a scripting language to write management modules in,
and these could easily be adapted to use HTTP.

*AND* (heh), I'm actually of the opinion that SNMP should be implemented
as an external process which can nab the information out of squid via
HTTP. Its a nice, clean, enforced abstraction.

2c,

Adrian