Re: Peer twiddling

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 04:08:33 -0600

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001, Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> > will have a scripting language to write management modules in,
> > and these could easily be adapted to use HTTP.
>
> ;) you don't trust any NMS it seems. Means only that given NMS is
> not worth its salt if you have to write modules yourself ;)

Oh, then you like paying $$$ to the NMS guys to write modules to
get the extra info you wanted? :)

> > *AND* (heh), I'm actually of the opinion that SNMP should be implemented
> > as an external process which can nab the information out of squid via
> > HTTP. Its a nice, clean, enforced abstraction.
>
> hmm. clean?

Right now the SNMP code puts its fingers into the squid code.
I don't think thats right.

> Actually, I don't have any problem with snmp vs http. SNMP tends to
> be slower via udp. And it has its problems. I've just seen some good
> stuff basing all its configs on SNMP, even on console, and it seems
> simple and modular way of managing binary configs on a running system.
> It just popped into my head as a first thing ;)

Its only slower because you're used to SNMPv1 and GETNEXT for walking
SNMPv2 has a nicer way of extracting tables of values, which makes
things faster.

Adrian