Re: Peer twiddling

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 01:25:54 +0200

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Personally, I don't think SNMP should be the default method of
> squid management. I think it should be HTTP - which allows it to
> inherit all the existing ACL types when it comes to management -
> and push out user-format-friendly and SNMP management via external
> agents.

To extend a bit on this in the other direction.

Squid should not have it's own SNMP agent, only a sub-agent that plugs
into a real SNMP agent. Access controls for SNMP is then set in the real
SNMP agent using the full level of controls provided by the real agent
and SNMP protocol version used by the client.

Squid having it's own full SNMP agent is cool, but quite dumb from a
code management and long term functionality perspective.

Having Squid accessible over SNMP is important. Doing so by layering
SNMP ontop of HTTP is not really practical imho. However, layering HTTP
ontop of SNMP is quite easy if needed, but not very Squid specific...
(is that a bad thing?)