Re: Cache revalidations

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 12:38:52 +0200

Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> We need to detect that headers changed compared to cached object,
> excluding time headers that we can handle separately. If changed,
> we'd better unlink and refetch the object. imo.
> If only time headers changed that we handle and stuff into saved
> disk object head, we can still try to replace just those bits.

Agreed. If anything but Date or Expires has changed we'd better consider
the object stale and expunge it. Only possible exception I see is if the
ETag is still the same and is not a weak tag.

Detecting changes isn't that hard as in most cases we already have a
active reference to the old object. The main exception is on forced
refreshes (reload) where I think we currently ignores the cache.

To conclude, the store API needs an interface for updating the objects
Date and Expires header in a permanent manner.