Re: squid suggestion (disk io)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:37:21 +0200

Hi.

For the "ufs" family of Squid store implementation, the majority of I/O
latency is in opening/closing/remoing files, not actual I/O.

The store implementation in Squid has a well defined API, allowing
different storage methods to be plugged into Squid. See Squid
Programmers Guide <http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/Prog-Guide/>,
specifically chapter 9 "Storage Interface".

There is currently 4 different store implementations in Squid (ufs,
aufs, diskd, coss). The ufs, aufs and diskd stores is using the same
basic layout but different I/O models, the coss store uses another file
layout.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker