Re: thanks a lot!

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:46:13 +0200

In addition to poll(), squid has other limitations which serverely makes
it spiral out when the number of active filedescriptors grow, plus that
it wastes a lot of CPU for nothing when there is a lot of activity.

The big think with ncomm is that it properly isolates and abstracts the
actual I/O mechanism from the rest of the code. The fact that it
provides a more efficient use of poll() is a bonus. The biggest wins is
in the redesign required of other parts of the code (not yet done).

When Squid has been converted into using the API presented by "ncomm",
then other I/O mechanisms than the normal poll() mechanism can easily be
tried out. See discussions on squid-dev not too long ago.