Re: SunOS: Fw: Automake and Sun's make

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 01:02:01 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henrik Nordstrom" <hno@squid-cache.org>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
Cc: <squid-dev@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2001 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: SunOS: Fw: Automake and Sun's make

> Ok.
>
> Robert, can you please collet the automake-1.5 patch required for
proper
> generation of src/Makefile.in and put it in
> devel.sourceforge.net/amake/?

Will do.

> Also, post a preleminary patch there with the quoting required for
> SunOS. For our use the quoting solves the SunOS/Solaris VPATH issue
> without impairing any portability, and I'd really like to have VPATH
> supported on Solaris Make.. Should also note that VPATH on
SunOS/Solaris

Ok, one has been posted to automake@gnu.org, I'll pick that up.

> Before 2.5 is released I want us to have agreed on an automake version
> that addresses these two problems. All core committers need to use the
> exact same version. If the automake people needs to discuss further
how
> to deal with the issues we have properly (or not), fine, but I am
> getting a bit tired of this now and is not prepared to wait much
longer
> for an "official" version we can use.

So am I. I was _very_ surprised that the makefile size patch didn't get
into 1.5 before release. Anyway, Tom Tromey is still AWOL from the list,
I'm about to start asking around to see if he's ok!. Akim is one of the
other core developers for automake, and he's suggested that the current
automake HEAD be labelled 1.6 and pushed out the door. AFAIK that solves
all the automake issues bar SunOS, and that's in active discussion now..

> What is certain is that we must document the automake issues before
> 2.5.PRE-STABLE is released, and do our best in making sure people who
> need to bootstrap Squid knows how to proceed.

> Yes, bootstrapping is only intended to be used by developers but many
of
> our users are developers. If bootstrapping isn't a smooth process then
> we will loose momentum.

I will draw up a list of requirements and some common things that
*could* cause confusion and put it on the ..amake pages as well. Expect
that in a day or three.

Rob