Re: Automake VPATH, error pages install, and a parallell make race

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 30 Oct 2001 00:43:04 +1100

On Mon, 2001-10-29 at 23:45, hno@marasystems.com wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > What I'd like is to make error_directory point to the common root of all
> > the error directories, and have a separate language variable for
> > determining which language to use. This is a precursor to examining any
> > http/1.1 language hints and using those to determine which language to
> > return. (At which point the config file entry becomes a list of
> > permitted languages, with the first one used when non is selected by the
> > client)
>
> Good idea, but lets do this in steps.

Here's step 1.

* remove the autoconf path overrides.
* Update icons and errors to install to $(sharedstatedir)/squid/icons
and ... errors. This could be simply $(sharedstatedir)/icons and errors,
but I don't think there is much call for reusing the squid specific
stuff :}. The shareing is for NFS installs and the like via the
autoconf site override capability.
* ERR_LANGUAGE and --enable-err-language to ERR_DEFAULT_LANGUAGE to
allow choice of which of the installed languages is to be used, without
preventing the install of all languages.
* New option --enable-err-languages to choose specific languages to
install.
* blindly overwrite any existing error files, if users have custom files
they should place them in a directory of their own.

> Now, we have already make quite big changes in the file layout of 2.5,
> so this is a very good opportunity to get rid of the last "odd" layout
> or configure issues.

This should take us some way there. Comments? Things to do differently?

Rob