Re: [Fwd: Squid patch]

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 22:21:43 +0100

On Sunday 04 November 2001 13.56, Matthew F Naylor (UG) wrote:

> Agreed. I created this patch before Henrik had implemented external_acl
> (or at least, created a branch for it). In fact, I have been using
> external_acl for the past few months as it does allow me even more
> specefic access control.

Great!

> There have been a few people who have contacted me about using my patch.
> I usually give them info on external_acl too. I suppose for the
> non-programmer my patch may be a little easier to get going. The better
> way to solve this problem though, is probably to implement some sort of
> generic mysql helper for use with external_acl, which I would be willing
> to look into.

The external_acl approach is in immediate need of a few helpers to make it
useful. Before a set of such helpers exists it is indeed not of very much use
to the general public.

I have one trivial such helper for LDAP user group checks. But there is a
need to finish the external_acl proxy_auth integration to make this really
useful.

> On the subject, I was hoping that external_acl would be included in
> squid 2.5?

Not unless we decide to delay 2.5 even further. But I am always open to votes
if there is a general interest in getting external_acl out.