Re: Fwd: Remaining changes for eventio]

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 23:45:51 +0100

If he isn't subscribed then his post should be pending approval by the
moderator (Adrian).

Your analysis of the eventio branch is quite correct. ncomm.c is almost
completely finished save for undiscovered bugs or design flaws,
client_side.c is mostly finished. Most of the other networking related
code is not yet finished (http, ftp, gopher, icp, htcp, ...).

There is also a need for API changes in how data is forwarded
client_side.c<-->protocols/store if one is to fulfill the eventio goal
of no data copying, but this is at this time secondary.

Quick guideline on how to find unfinished pieces of network code:

* any commSetSelect() calls
* any direct read/write() calls

Also, one major piece missing from the eventio framework is how to
properly handle timeouts.

A note about Linux RT signal I/O: The current kernel implementation has
some basic flaws and does not by far scale as well as one would like it
to. The principle is all nice, but the implementation is far from it.
Much work remains in tuning the kernel implementation to filter out
unneeded events before RT signals can be considered really useful.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker