Eventio branch--timeout, fd.c, pconnRead

From: Venkateswaran Govindasamy <gv_kovai@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:43:51 -0800 (PST)

Hello Henrik and Adrian

While working on the eventio branch, we came across
the following
problems:

1. We are changing the pconn.c file to use
filehandle* instead of fd.
In pconn.c, the pconnRead function reads data from a
fd,
and then immediately closes the fd. Is there any
reason for reading
the
data if we don't use it?

2. In fd.c, there are functions that tell how many
file descriptors
are
left; specfically fd_open(), fd_close(),
fdNFree(), and others. Should we create a new file
"nfd.c" that ports
all these functions to use filehandle*?
Instead of the "fde fd_table[]", we would create a
"filehandle*
fh_table" that just tracks how
many free file descriptors are left.

3. It was mentioned that the timeout functions have
not been decided
for the eventio branch. We came up with
the following changes for timeouts:

In the file ncomm_internals.h:
struct _filehandle {
    COMMTIMEOUTCB *timeout_handler;
    time_t timeout;
    void *timeout_data;
    void *lifetime_data;
};

In ncomm.c:
void ncommSetTimeout(filehandle *fh, int timeout,
COMMTIMEOUTCB *handler, void *data);
typedef void
COMMTIMEOUTCB(filehandle *fh, void *data);

For right now, we are just leaving the timeout code as
it is.

Thanks
Madhav and Venkatesh
madhav@visolve.com, gv_kovai@yahoo.com