Re: Multiple storeio types?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 00:51:54 -0600

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Probably missing from the round-robin directory selection. Should be trivial
> to add.

Yep. It was. Patch will be forthcoming when I've tested it.

> Suggestion: Take a short break and figure our how you want to have the usage
> balanced when you mix different store types. Then get it implemented and send
> us a patch.

Quick query regarding the least load and UFS type. Is there a reason
for choosing constant 999 for the loadav for that store type? I mean is
it magic in some way that I'm not seeing? Could it just as easily be,
say, 500? That's not a real fix, of course. A real fix doesn't look
trivial (hence the reason it's returning a constant I guess ;-), as I
don't see any way to gather the load that is sensible. But 500 might be
more fair when used with other storedir types, and would behave the same
  as it currently does if all dirs are ufs type.

Another query, that is somewhat related: Are the diskd and aufs loadav
calculations 'compatible'? I guess it would take test data that
probably doesn't exist yet to know since they both rely on somewhat
arbitrary load indicators and both behave very differently based on
those conditions.

If I find that least load is more efficient for my needs, I'm going to
give a diskd storedir type a try on my RAM disk. Maybe lighter weight
than 16 threads... Any thoughts on whether I'm misled in that assumption?

Thanks for the tips, guys!

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com